Actually it is an Rmarkdown to compose a work flow like document. Easily changable and transparent tool to edit and run codes in chunks and edit text between them.
- different languages: R, python, C++ (Rccp), SQL (later Perl)
- line by line code running
- whole chunk code running
- inteactive graphs
- if a (html) document was already make it is not neccesary to rerun all document all the code chunks if some code changed with preview –>easy to iterate codes and text with generated document with preview
- a rendered html document can viewed in editor like original Rmd file
- there are less tradeoffs than with Jupyter notebook that support R as well
- usefull to see the result of a chunk
- cannot enter tex like equations (yet)
- the rendered document is a static html so uploaded data file cannot be used (yet)
And how to start?
Just use this head below as Rmd file head. This code means a notebook format to RStudio and if you want to make an html document the “html_document” section is used.
Or just use R notebook button in RStudio when start a document (Version 0.99.1289, RStudio Preview)
Be sure you have R version 3.3 (or higher) for proper work. And need some packages to update.